15 DIY Hair Care Tips
No matter what type of hair you have, you’ll find that you can achieve thick, healthy, shiny hair by following a few simple but clever DIY hair care tips. Some of these DIY hair care tips will even save you money, and they make a wonderful addition to your daily beauty routine.
Keep reading to find out what’s on our list of the 15 best DIY hair care tips, tricks, and treatment recipes!
1. Preserve moisture — Heat can be very damaging to the hair, whenever possible let your hair dry on its own. When using the dryer try using a low heat setting especially if you will be using another hot tool like a flat iron.
2. Dry shampoo — In a hurry and just don’t have time to shampoo your hair? Sprinkle a little baby powder onto your scalp leave for a minute or two then brush thoroughly. This eliminates oil and makes the hair look clean. This is one of my favorite DIY hair care tips!
3. Beer rinse — Open a can or bottle of beer and let it set for a couple of hours until it becomes flat. Shampoo hair as usual and remove excess water with a towel. Pour beer on to your hair and leave for a minute or two then rinse, condition with your usual conditioner. Many people have seen benefits of fuller thicker hair through the use of this DIY hair care tip.
4. Volume and fullness — Drying your hair with your head flipped over can add tons of volume and fullness to your style.
5. Satin pillowcases — A satin pillowcase has a much smoother surface than cotton pillowcase thus creating less friction on the hair eliminating excess breakage.
6. Cool rinse — Doing your final rinse in cool water closes the hair shaft tight, this makes the hair appear shinier.
7. Gray hair care — Apple cider vinegar works great to removing yellow out of gray hair. Apply full strength vinegar on clean damp hair leave on for 15 minutes , rinse shampoo and condition. This process can be repeated once a week. Also, don’t miss our list of 25 uses for apple cider vinegar!
8. Olive oil and egg yolk mask — Mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil with 2 egg yolks then dilute with a ½ cup of water. Thoroughly massage into the scalp and hair letting it set for approximately 20 minutes. Shampoo or rinse out. Eggs are super rich in proteins and fatty acids that softens and adds shine to the hair. Olive oil strengthens and softens making it ideal for dry damaged hair.
9. Cure itchy scalp — An application of lemon juice and olive oil is a perfect solution for a flaky and itchy scalp. The acidity in lemon juice works to get rid of those unwanted flakes, while the olive oil is moisturizing the scalp. Use a mixture of 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 3 tablespoons olive oil, and 3 tablespoons of water. Massage into the scalp and cover with a shower cap or wrap in a towel and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes then shampoo.
10. Fight frizzy hair — Avocado is known to have a combination of proteins and oils that works to smooth and calm down curly and unruly hair. Mash an avocado and apply to clean damp hair let sit for 20 minutes then thoroughly rinse. You can be creative by adding other ingredients such as mayonnaise or egg yolks for deeper conditioning.
11. Combat green hair — Does your pretty blonde hair now have a green glow? The green is caused by the chlorine in the swimming pool. To neutralize the green try pouring a cup of tomato onto the hair and allowing it to sit for a few minutes then shampoo.
12. Chlorine protection — The best defense for chlorine is to wet your hair with fresh water before jumping into the pool, wet hair will not absorb as many impurities as dry hair. Rinse your again immediately after swimming.
13. Clarifying treatment — Hair can become lifeless and flat due to a buildup of product or natural impurities. There are many products on the market that can be purchased to remove this build up. A method that works just as well and much less expensive is the application of baking soda. One option is to mix ¼ to ½ cup baking soda with water to form a paste, apply to damp hair let set for several minutes then rinse. Another option is to add baking soda to shampoo approximately equal parts. Follow with a conditioning treatment. This should be repeated once a week.
14. Egg yolks treatment — Egg yolks are loaded with vitamins and nutrients that are beneficial for the hair. This homemade hair care tip improves the condition of the hair while the protein in the egg adds strength preventing breakage. You can apply beaten yolks to dry hair alone or add ingredients such as olive oil or honey. Leave on the hair for 20 to 30 minutes, then rinse well with cool water and shampoo.
15. Coconut oil — Coconut oil is becoming known as one of the best overall treatments for your hair. While many oils and conditioners treat only the surface of the hair, coconut oil completely penetrates into the hair shaft to repair your damaged hair. It is known to make hair appear thicker and seal in moisture making the hair stronger and shinier.
I hope you enjoyed this fun list of DIY hair care tips! Do you have any quick tips for achieving beautiful hair? If so, please leave a comment, we would love to hear it!