10 Ways to Clean With Lemon
I love to clean with lemon—the citrus smell is so refreshing and invigorating! For me, the scent of lemon symbolizes cleanliness. Did you know that lemon’s acidic properties are a natural antibacterial and antiseptic?
There are many great ways to clean with lemon in your home, here are just a few of our favorite lemon cleaning tips! Be sure to share this list of easy and all-natural lemon cleaning tips with your friends!
Clean with lemon!
1. Laundry — Lemon juice is a great natural alternative to chlorine bleach. A cup of lemon juice added to your laundry along with your regular detergent will boost the whitening action. For tough stains on your whites, put lemon juice directly onto the stain allow it to dry in the sun, the stain will disappear! This is one of my favorite ways to clean with lemon!
2. Shower doors — Apply lemon juice to a sponge and wipe shower doors to remove soap scum, this will also leave the room smelling clean and fresh. Lemon is a powerful natural cleaner and will do a number on even tough soap scum.
3. Furniture polish — Make your own furniture polish by mixing 1 part lemon juice and 2 parts olive oil. Another choice is to mix lemon juice with mineral oil. Apply a small amount to a cloth and use the same way you would your regular polish. For best results mix in small amounts, it should be used the same day it is made.
4. Cutting boards — Clean your cutting board with lemon! To remove tough stains and odors from your cutting board simply cut a lemon in half,rub the lemon across the board, saturating it with the juice. Allow it to sit for about 20 minutes then completely rinse and towel dry. Your board will be fresh and naturally sanitized.
5. Polish faucets — Rub a lemon on your faucet to remove soap scum, lime scale and mineral deposits. Cleaning faucets with lemon is an amazing tip!
6. Shoe Shiner — Apply lemon juice with a cloth to your black or tan leather shoes then buff. Your shoes will shine like new.
7. Cut grease — Lemon is a natural corrosive with the power to cut grease. Simply make a solution of lemon and water spray onto grease and wipe clean.
8. Clean the microwave — Fill a microwave safe bowl with water, cut a lemon in half and squeeze juice into the water, then, put the lemon skin side up into the bowl. Cook for about five minutes. Carefully remove bowl and wipe down the microwave with a damp cloth. Your microwave will be sparkling clean and smell lemon fresh.
9. Dishwasher — Do you know that dishwasher odor you smell when you open the door?? To get rid of that odor place a cup of lemon juice on bottom rack of empty washer and run the rinse cycle. Your dishwasher will be effectively deodorized and cleaned.
10. Remove rust — To remove rust stains from your stainless steel silverware and cooking knives, apply full strength juice to the spots and leave on for several minutes The rust is loosened due to the acid in the lemon juice making it easier to scrub off.
Did you know that there were so many great ways to clean with lemon? What is your favorite way to use lemon for cleaning in your daily life? We’d love to hear in the comments!